Is an iPhone Ruined if Dropped in Water? Quick Steps to Fix a Water Damaged iPhone
Accidents happen, and one of the most common mishaps for iPhone users is dropping their device in water.
If your iPhone is an older model, a splash from the kitchen sink or a plunge into a pool could be fatal to your device – but knowing the right steps to take can help you avoid catastrophe, and the resulting Apple device repair costs.
At iStore by St. Moritz, your trusted Apple iPhone repair specialist, we understand the panic that can set in when your iPhone is at risk.
Here’s a guide on what to do if your iPhone takes the plunge.
Is your iPhone water resistant?
Not all iPhones are created equal when it comes to water resistance. Here’s a quick guide to help you understand what your model can handle:
1. Earlier Models (iPhone 6 and Older): These models do not have any official water resistance rating. If you have one of these, water contact should be avoided as much as possible.
2. iPhone 7 through iPhone X: These models have an IP67 rating, meaning they can survive in up to 1 meter of water for about 30 minutes. However, water resistance isn’t the same as being waterproof. These models can handle splashes and quick dunks, but prolonged exposure is risky.
3. iPhone 11 and Beyond: Starting with the iPhone 11, Apple enhanced the water resistance up to 6 meters for 30 minutes. This includes the iPhone 12, iPhone 13, and iPhone 14. However, even with this improved resistance, it’s crucial to note that water resistance can degrade over time due to wear and tear.
Even if you have a more recent, water-resistant iPhone, here are some scenarios when you should be concerned:
Prolonged Exposure: If your iPhone has been in the water for more than the recommended time, it’s best to follow the drying and inspection steps mentioned earlier.
Deep Water: Going beyond the recommended depth can compromise the phone’s seals and lead to water damage.
Chemical or Saltwater Exposure: Pools, oceans, and household liquids contain chemicals or salts that can damage your phone, even if it’s water-resistant.
Age and Wear: Over time, the water resistance seals in your iPhone can wear down, especially if the phone has been dropped or undergone Apple screen repair before.
What to Do If Your iPhone Gets Wet: First Steps
1. Turn Off Your iPhone: This is crucial. Turning off your device minimizes the risk of a short circuit which can cause more damage.
2. Remove Excess Water: Gently shake your device to remove water from ports and crevices. Then, use a soft cloth to dry the exterior. Avoid pushing buttons excessively, as this can drive water deeper into the device.
3. Skip the Heat: While it might be tempting to use a hairdryer or place your iPhone in the sun, resist the urge. Excessive heat can damage your iPhone further.
4. Steer Clear of Rice: Contrary to popular belief, placing your iPhone in a container of rice isn’t the best idea. Rice can leave behind residue and doesn’t effectively remove moisture from inside the device. Opt for silica gel packets if available.
5. Patiently Dry: Let your iPhone sit in a dry, ventilated area for at least 24-48 hours. Avoid the temptation to turn it on to check if it’s working during this time.
After the Wait: Powering On and Checking
1. Carefully Power On: After waiting, turn on your iPhone. If it powers on, that’s a good sign. If not, it might be time for professional help.
2. Backup Your Data: If your phone is functional, back up your data immediately. Water damage can have delayed effects, and securing your data is crucial.
3. Inspect for Issues: Look for any anomalies in functionality. This could be anything from camera issues to problems with the screen or buttons, or faster than usual battery drain.
Quick iPhone Repair Solutions: When DIY Isn’t Enough
If your iPhone isn’t responding or you notice functionality issues after powering on, it’s time to turn to your local Apple authorized repair centers.
As an Authorized Apple iPhone Repair store, iStore by St. Moritz is equipped to handle all levels of iPhone damage repair, from Apple screen repair to water damage solutions, using quality iPhone repair parts.
We operate our iPhone repairs service in New York, NY, and New Jersey, making it convenient for you to drop off your device for a thorough assessment and speedy repair. In some cases, we can offer same-day iPhone fixes, or even while-you-wait Apple screen repair.
Dealing with a water-damaged iPhone can be stressful, but remember, not all hope is lost. Book in with our iPhone water damage repair services today!